Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Thing About Ladies

"The thing about ladies is that they attract everyone, not just gentlemen." 

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about how many young men I considered to be losers had asked me for my number or expressed similar interest in me recently, and this is what he said in response. I just could not understand how as a genuine lady, I was attracting the sort of men I have been instead of the gentlemen I would prefer. This really made me think. Jacqueline Kennedy was the epitome of ladylike poise and grace, and is the model after which I shape those attributes in my own life. She was a true lady, and everyone loved her--everyone. Her kindness and her gracious love for people was so admirable, and her seemingly effortless charm and beauty was absolutely enchanting. A trail of glitter practically followed the woman everywhere she went. I can almost promise you, however, the same could not always be said about her admirers and the people she came in contact with every day. As the type of lady she was, she attracted the attention of everyone, including the ones she no doubt could do without. So as true ladies and women of God, we should be prepared the same thing. People are drawn to that type of woman because of the way she treats others and the love and kindness she shows to them. Her grace and her charm are appealing, and people simply want a part in that. Can you blame them?
With that said, however, we as ladies must remember that our hearts are what make us most appealing as women of God. 1 Peter 3:3-4 says,
"Don't be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourself instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God." (NLT)
Although Mrs. Kennedy was undoubtedly considered a style icon and was known for her beauty and impeccable style, her heart was the reason people truly loved and admired her. She had such a gracious personality, and truly took up the role of a gentle and quiet spirit. She was powerful in her seemingly silent, yet intentional ways, and did not ever have to compromise her ladylike qualities to accomplish the things she did. She embodied everything it means to be feminine and ladylike, and was a woman adored by many.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment